Wednesday 3 April 2013

Wilma's Wedding

Alex and I got married in 2011. Wedding planning for me was just one big mind fuck. I've never been the type of girl to dream about 'her big day' and yet that seems to be expected of you.

Our Florist was Blush Floral Design. When we came to arranging flowers for our wedding I was nervous. All I knew was that I didn’t like any wedding flowers I had ever seen! The moment we stepped in to have our consultation with Blush, we knew they were perfect. The room was full of beautiful vintage pieces. Bex and Beth from Blush were both lovely (and made brilliant tea)! Bex listened to us and created the most perfect centerpieces. She was also a wonderful friend throughout the planning process. 



I bought my dress five weeks before our Wedding (arghh panic) and Alex came with me to London to buy it (I know…the groom seeing the dress before the wedding!? He is my best friend and I wanted to share that moment with him).



Before we were engaged, Alex and I saw the cakes on the English Cheesecake website and joked we would have to get one for our wedding. The look incredible!!! Then, as we actually had to make a decision on the cake, we thought ‘why the hell not’!? Alex loves profiteroles and I love cheesecake. Perfect!



Alex had four best men; Rich, Andy, Mark (they were all in a band together for years) and Gareth (oldest friend). As they’re all musically gifted they wrote us a best man song instead of a speech and performed it with acoustic guitars. It was absolutely brilliant and all our guests loved it. The chorus was:

“Alex and Jo, there they go,
If she’s Princess Peach then he’s Mario,
He works 9-5, answers to The Man,
Because his rock star dreams didn’t go to plan"


Yes, my real name is Jo... but I prefer Wilma :-)



We danced to to 'I'll Follow You Into The Dark, by Death Cab for Cutie.  It was always the song that Alex would hold my hand to when it played in the car. They’re my favourite band and Alex would always hold me a bit tighter when we heard it played at gigs. Although it was always the obvious choice for us, I did resist choosing it throughout our engagement. The opening line is “Love of mine, someday you will die, but I’ll be close behind. I’ll follow you into the dark”. I was worried about people thinking we were morbid, as they didn’t understand the meaning of the song. I’m so glad we chose it though – any other song would have been second best.

Words of Wedded Wisdom...
Make it personal! I think so many weddings are planned as perfectly polished events but have no real connection with the Bride and Groom. Wedding trends will go in and out of fashion – but if your day is really personal, it’ll never be dated.

I spent a lot of my childhood being looked after by my Grandparents. As well as drinking a lot of tea, they bought me up on films like “Singin’ in the Rain” and all the old Rogers and Hammerstein classics. This I think has always made me have great affection for the 20’s – 50’s. I don’t think my wedding was era specific as there were bits and pieces from all decades. It was all the things that make me feel nostalgic pulled into one day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment